Obliquely Productive is an app for the iPhone (or iPad or iPod Touch). It serves up small nuggets of advice to help you be more productive.
Just the basic facts
- The nuggets appear in a not quite random order.
- You can tell the app if you like any particular one and it will show it more often.
- You can tell the app if you are sceptical about any particular nugget and it will show it less often.
- You can ban nuggets you really don’t like.
- You can email nuggets to your pals if you think they might like them.
If you are stuck then Obliquely Productive offers you:
a hundred ways to become un-stuck.
Obliquely Productive was first published on 22 September 2010. Version 2.0.0 was released on 11 March 2011. Version 3.0.0 was released on 5 April 2015. You can download it from your device or from iTunes.
The app includes a small number of essays that can be reached by clicking the ‘Essay’ link that appears on some of the backs of the nugget cards. Some of the essays, with additional weblinks, are also published here:
Can I use it on my device?
Obliquely Productive will work on:
- iPhone – iOS version 7.1 or later
- iPod Touch – iOS version 7.1 or later
- iPad – iOS version 7.1 or later
I’ve been asked if there will be a version for non-Apple devices, such as Android phones. I’ve no plans right now, but you never know… That said see this post.
Please report problems using the form at the foot of this page.
Version 3.0.0 now available
Version 3.0.0 of the app lets you:
- choose from different backgrounds (new)
- write your own nuggets
- share nuggets on Facebook (improved) and Twitter (new)
- include a natty PDF of a nugget in emails
- print from your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad
If you have an older device that does not support iOS 7.1 or above you are out of luck unless you purchased a copy of Obliquely before the 3.0.0 update. Long term users of Obliquely Productive may notice that rotation is no longer supported on the iPhone or iPod Touch.
You may well discover all the features of the app simply through playful exploration. If you prefer, you can look at the features page for more guidance:
- Features page – describes how to use Obliquely Productive
Feedback / Stories
- Do you have a story about how Obliquely Productive has helped you and are you willing to share it?
- I may use these stories for future essays to be included with the app (and on this site) or for other publications. If you send me a story, let me know any details you would prefer to remain confidential and/or anonymous.
- Do you have any other comments on the app?
- Do you want to report bugs or crashes?